After visiting SIUE rallied for a six-run outburst in the ninth inning to claim game one 12-8, Morehead State baseball doubled that output in a single frame in game two today as the Eagles used a 12-run sixth-inning to defeat the Cougars 13-8 and win the series at Allen Field two games to one.
Morehead State, which has only lost three OVC home series since 2018, improved to 12-11 overall and 4-2 in the OVC. The Cougars are now 12-12 and 6-6.
The Eagles nailed 10 extra-base hits today, including five home runs, while seven pitchers combined to record 23 strikeouts of SIUE hitters in the 18 innings.
While the first-game setback did halt a 12-game winning streak in the SIUE series, the Eagles have now won 13 of the last 14 since 2014.
HOW IT HAPPENED - GAME 1
- Senior Ryan Layne's second home run of the year put his team on top 2-1 in the second inning.
- SIUE proceeded to take a 6-3 lead after their at-bat in the fifth, but a pair of home runs from Eagles Alex Jacobs and Jacob Ferry erased that lead for the visitors, tying the game 6-6 in the fifth. Both men recorded their first round-trippers as Eagles.
- Freshman Jackson Feltner put the Eagles on top with a two-run single in the eighth inning, extending his reached-base streak to 12 games.
- Ritchie Well tied the game at 8-8 for SIUE in the top of the ninth, followed by a three-run double from Ole Arntsen.
NOTABLE - GAME 1
- Senior Bryce Hensor and Jacobs each collected team-high three hits as MSU pounded out 15 safeties. It was Jacobs' first career multi-hit game.
- Layne, Feltner and senior Stephen Hill had two hits each.
- Starter Luke Helton struck out six batters in 5.2 innings before giving way to freshman Grant Herron. Herron fanned seven of his first eight batters he faced but ran into trouble in the ninth trying to close it out. He wound up being charged for six runs and taking the loss to fall to 2-2.
- The 15 strikeouts was the eighth game this year MSU's staff has recorded double-digit Ks.
HOW IT HAPPENED - GAME 2
- Feltner belted his third homer of the year in the second inning as that was the only Eagle runs until the sixth.
- 17 batters came to the plate as the Eagles nearly batted around twice in the sixth-inning scoring frenzy and in fact, MSU recorded a cycle amongst its hitters in the inning.
- Senior Jack Gardner smacked a game-tying three-run long ball, his team-leading sixth of the year, to get the craziness going.
- The inning also featured an RBI triple from Layne, an RBI double from freshman Colton Becker, a two-run double from Ferry, another two-run double by Gardner and RBI singles via Becker and Feltner.
NOTABLE - GAME 2
- Conway, who also picked up the win Friday in similar fashion, improved to 5-1. Bakke made his OVC-leading 14th appearance.
- Gardner had a career-high five RBI, while Feltner, Layne and Becker tallied multi-hit games.
- Morehead State has now scored 66 runs in its seven home games, or 9.4 per game.
- Ferry had a pinch-hit hit, joining Peyton Dillingham in game one, as those two Eagles were the lone pinch hitters and both recorded hits.
The Eagles venture a few hours north Tuesday for a solo game at Dayton at 3 p.m. ET.